How to Choose the Best URL Shortener?
Do you need to shorten URLs to tweet them or for some other reason? This is actually an Internet tool that doesn’t get a lot of attention even though a lot of people use it on a daily basis. If you’re looking for one that’s easy to use, free and won’t cause you a lot of headaches, you’re in luck. Keep reading the rest of the article to find out how to choose the best URL shortener.
Choosing a Great URL Shortener
Here are the main things you’ll want to keep in mind before you choose an URL shortener to use. The good news is that these tips are easy to follow and can save you time and money.
- Redirect – The first thing you should ask about the URL shortener is what type of redirect they use. If you want to keep your SEO link juice, you’re going to want to go with a service that offers 301 redirects.
- Tracking – In addition to what type of redirect code it uses, you’ll also want to look closely at whether or not the service tracks the number of people who click the URL as well as other stats.
- Support – Being able to shoot off an email or pick up the phone and call someone to get a question answered is worth its weight in gold these days. Make sure you choose an URL shortener with a good reputation for helping their customers – even free ones.
- # of Characters – The total number of characters the URL will be shortened to is another feature that you should look at closely. You want it as small as possible so that you have more room for content in your tweets.
- Custom URLs – This is an advanced feature that not everyone is going to need, but it can really help you maintain your branding even with shortened URLs. If you want custom URLs, make sure you check before you sign up and start using a service.
- Sharing – Another thing to consider carefully is how easy it will be for the shortened URL to be shared. The easier you make this task, the more likely people will share your content – and this is a good thing.
If you follow the advice and tips above, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to find an URL shortener that works for you and your needs. The Internet is full of a lot of different tools, but you need to make sure you take the time to choose the best ones so you don’t waste time in the long run. Leave any websites you use to shorten URLs below if you think it’s a good one.