Best Option for Converting PSD to Joomla – Automated or Hand Coded?
The trend to transfer PSD files to other format has been a rudimentary skill for a designer for some time now. No matter how amazing Photoshop is in playing with designs, images, colors and graphics, it unfortunately does not have any web functionality. This is why CMS technologies such as Joomla have become popular and knowing the tricks to convert PSD to Joomla template has become so essential for a designer.
Since its launch Joomla has proved to be hugely successful. Taking your PSD to Joomla allows you to build websites using your designs. Not just that, its flexible structure also allows other coding to be assimilated easily. The CMS is easy to install, use and highly extensible. This means your PSD to Joomla template can be installed with no trouble and the client can also be trained with no trouble.
But one of its greatest advantages comes from its open source nature. This means millions of people around the world are working to add features and plug-ins, update and post tutorials. This not only ensures the long term viability of Joomla, but also makes the website vibrant and interactive.
So, how do you go about PSD to Joomla conversion? There are three options you can go for:
- Hand coding or manual coding
- Hiring a professional
Hand coding means manually converting your PSD to Joomla. This may seem complex, but is actually a fairly simple process. There are a number of tutorials on the web to take you through this process. It only requires a painstaking attention to detail. Typically PSD to Joomla conversion involves both HTML and CSS coding, therefore a good technical background is essential.
Automated conversion involves downloading a PSD to Joomla template software and letting it do the work for you. It gives you fast result with minimal effort. Alternatively, you can always hire an expert. This means you get professional results and save your own resources.
If you cannot afford a professional, hand coding remains the best option. Although downloading the relevant software and letting it work may seem easier, it can be the riskier option. Automated conversion has more chances of errors that can be disastrous for your website.
Benefits of hand coding:
- Clean and Error free coding: The biggest benefit of hand coding is its cleanliness. Whether you hire a professional or do it yourself, hand coding ensures error free semantic codes. Automated conversion often fails to take into account all layers or leaves open tags. The chances of this happening are minimal when the conversion is done manually.
- W3C markups: Joomla is easy to install on most web hosts. Nevertheless, it is important that your PSD to Joomla template is tested across various browsers. Manual coding involves the crucial step of cross checking on various hosts. Given the various web browsers today, like Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer, this is essential for your website to work on the World Wide Web.
- Editing: Manually coding your site automatically gives you more control over the resultant content and design. The automated software simply takes your format and gives you its final result. On the other hand working it manually means you can evaluate your design in detail. Every layer of your PSD file has to be sliced and defined. Often developers have reevaluated their designs at this stage to make it more fluid and cohesive.
- Useful skill: However, the most important reason is the sheer usability of learning PSD to Joomla conversion. Chances are you will be doing this often to convert your PSD files to a workable format. Hence, mastering PSD to Joomla conversion is a useful skill for any designer.
Manually coding clearly gives one the best results. With the plethora of tutorials on the net, it is also easy to access.