Create Backup of MS-Outlook through Archiving Feature
Archiving is a process to backup old Outlook items like; emails, calendars, contacts, tasks, appointments, etc., in a separate data file. This process on the whole gives you the freedom to delete the archived data from Outlook data file and compact its size. Archiving stores the old data items that may not be required at present. It’s an efficient way to minimize the size of your Outlook data file (.pst).
Two Modes of Archiving Outlook Data File
Manual Archive: As the name itself implies that it’s a manual way to archive Outlook data items, instead of using replacement or auto archiving method. Although, auto archiving sounds effortless, but manual archiving is recommended as it flexibly allows users to specify particular number of folders for archiving.
Note: If you want to Archive PST manually, then you will have to turn off Auto Archiving option.
Auto Archive:It is a feature that helps in automatically archiving Outlook items by either using default or user specified settings. However, users sometimes don’t have toworry about the settings and can just archive a single folder manually. By default, Auto Archive routinely deletes the expired items from folders. But before deleting the items it’s set to copy or move old items to assigned archive folders.
Archive Outlook Items Manually
To Archive Outlook Items manually, follow the given below steps:
- Click on “File Tab“
- After that Click on “Cleanup Tools”
- Then Click on “Archive”
- Check “Archive this folder and all sub folders” option and then select the folder to archive. The sub folder of folder is included in manual archiving.
- Select the date in “Archive items older than” box.
Note: By default the Archive file is stored at the same location where default PST file is storedat. But if you want to change the location, then you can use the browse option that permits you to save archived file at the desired location.
- Select check box “Include items with ‘Do not Auto Archive’ checked” to include items that that are marked to be excluded from archiving.
- Finally click on “Ok” button.
Auto Archive Outlook Items
To Auto Archive Outlook items follow the given below steps:
- Click on “File” menu go to the “option” button and click on it.
- Now a screen appears with several options, from it select “Advance option” and click on it. You will see an “Auto Archive” setting button under “Auto Archive” section.
- Open “Auto Archive” setting and select dialog box for a number of settings like; folders, days, etc., and click on “Ok”
But if you want to apply Auto Archive feature for specific Outlook folder, then the steps are as follows:
- To Auto Archive File or Folder in Microsoft Outlook
- Go and Select the folder/file, then right click on Properties
- Now select “Archive this folder using these setting” dialog box and apply settings
- After that click on “Apply” button
Note: You can use default settings for selected folder by Archive items in this folder using the default settings dialog box (even change in default setting can be done from here)
Location of Archive Outlook Data File (.pst)
Location of Outlook data file (.pst) changes according to the version of Microsoft Windows running on your system when the archive is created.
In Microsoft Outlook 2010 new archives are created at the given below location:
- Windows 7 & Windows Vista: drive:\Users\user\Documents\Outlook Files\archive.pst
- Windows XP: drive:\Documents and Setting\User\Local Setting\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst
If your system had an earlier Outlook version, archive Outlook Data File (.pst) will be created at the following location:
- Windows 7 & Windows Vista: drive:\Users\user\App Data\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst
- Windows XP: drive:\Documents and Setting\user\Local Setting\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst
About the Author:
This is a guest post by Peter Baris. He is the author of MS Outlook Tools, Peter has an experience of more than 20 years in the IT industry. He is now working with an expert data recovery firm. Having quality expertise in the Office products, especially in Microsoft Outlook he loves to solve user queries like How to Recover Deleted Items of Outlook by providing excellently suitable solution.